Despite being a fairly young industry, the future of the e-commerce sector seems to be bright, with more empathy and less discrimination to employees. 

According to iPrice's aggregated data on job satisfaction rates and gender diversity of the top three e-commerce companies in seven countries in Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, and Hong Kong), job satisfaction rates are at least above average.

Across Asia, half or more of employees would recommend e-commerce companies as a workplace to their friends, while CEOs have really high approval ratings of between 66% to 97%.

When it came to gender diversity, there was an overall 60-40 disparity between men and women when it came to being in positions of power.

Despite there being room for improvement, iPrice noted that given centuries of gender inequality and women taking time off for child-rearing, this disparity wasn't as wide as expected.

By job level, the gender gap was widest in the top-level roles - C-suite and Vice President positions.

At the C-suite level, only 31% of roles were filled by women, with the remaining 69% of these titles held by men. Similarly, 62% of Vice Presidents in Southeast Asia’s top e-commerce companies are men, while only 38% are women.

Thankfully, the gap was narrowed when looking at Senior Vice President and department head roles. 

About 2 in 5 (44%) of the top e-commerce SVPs were women while 56% were men. Similarly, 41% of department head roles were taken by women, while 59% were taken by men.

Here's a breakdown of the data across Southeast Asia by country (from most satisfied to least satisfied).

Indonesia

  • Job satisfaction: 4.3
  • Would recommend e-commerce companies as a workplace: 90%
  • CEO approval: 97%
  • Average monthly salary: US$979
  • Women in top-level roles: 36%

Philippines

  • Job satisfaction: 3.9
  • Would recommend e-commerce companies as a workplace: 76%
  • CEO approval: 87%
  • Average monthly salary: US$588
  • Women in top-level roles: 39%

Vietnam

  • Job satisfaction: 3.6
  • Would recommend e-commerce companies as a workplace: 65%
  • CEO approval: 92%
  • Average monthly salary: US$394
  • Women in top-level roles: 46%

Malaysia

  • Job satisfaction: 3.4
  • Would recommend e-commerce companies as a workplace: 63%
  • CEO approval: 80%
  • Average monthly salary: US$988
  • Women in top-level roles: 37%

Thailand

  • Job satisfaction: 3.4
  • Would recommend e-commerce companies as a workplace: 57%
  • CEO approval: 83%
  • Average monthly salary: US$2,126
  • Women in top-level roles: 44%

Singapore

  • Job satisfaction: 3.0
  • Would recommend e-commerce companies as a workplace: 53%
  • CEO approval: 66%
  • Average monthly salary: US$3,116
  • Women in top-level roles: 35%

employment satisfaction in se asias e commerce iprice group

how many women have top roles in workplace iprice group

Infographic and lead image / iPrice